Our mission at America’s Christian Credit Union (ACCU) is to serve the whole church through both personal financial services and organizational banking for churches, ministries, Christian schools, and Christian business owners across the United States. Member’s deposits become the loans that help churches expand, ministries reach further, and families thrive.
From a member’s first savings account through retirement, we’re here to be your life-long financial partner. Join ACCU and discover banking with a financial partner who understands your faith and moves you forward. Because we are stronger together!
Earn $100 when you open a Checking account with qualifying activities1
- Open a Secure Checking or Basic Checking account using promo code “SWITCH”
- Make at least one (1) deposit of $25.00 or more per calendar month
- Make at least two (2) debit card purchases per calendar month
Earn up to $400 in dividends when you open a New Member Certificate2
- Open a New Member Certificate and deposit up to $10,000
- Earn $400 in dividends at an APY3 of 4.00%
Earn up to $125 in Cash Back with an introductory offer for ACCU’s Visa® Signature Rewards Credit Card4
- Earn 2,500 points for your first card transaction
- Earn 10,000 points for spending $3,000 in the first 90 days5
- Rewards points may be redeemed for Cash Back
1 – APY = Annual Percentage Yield. Checking Bonus: $100.00 “bonus” is valid for a newly established checking account after 08/01/2022 using promo code “SWITCH” at account opening. To qualify for the $100.00 bonus the following transactions must be completed in the three (3) consecutive months after account opening: at least one (1) deposit of $25.00 or more and two (2) debit card purchases per calendar month. Once qualifying transactions have been made and are verified, the $100.00 bonus will be credited to the checking account within 140 days of account opening. Basic checking accounts do not earn dividends. Secure Checking accounts earn 0.05% APY — effective as of 08/01/2022– on account balances over $1,500. Fees may reduce earnings. Certain restrictions apply, limited time offer expires 12/31/2022. All program rates, offers, terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Promotional funds may be subject to 1099 reporting. Any applicable taxes are the responsibility of the member.
2 – To earn $400 in dividends you will need to fund a New Member Certificate with $10,000. Assumes 4.00% APY and a $10,000 deposit will remain in the account until maturity. Penalty for early withdrawal. Visit AmericasChristianCU.com/GetStarted for full product details.
New Member Certificate: Minimum deposit is $1,000. Minimum deposit required to earn dividends is $1,000. Maximum deposit is $10,000. Early withdrawal penalties do apply which may reduce the principal. No additional deposits can be made during the term of the New Member Term Share Certificate. Offer is available to new members, or members who have not held, or closed, an ACCU: savings, term share certificate, money market, or loan account. Limit one new member certificate per household. Rate quoted as of 08/01/2022 and subject to change or discontinue without notice. At maturity, the promotional Term Share Certificate will renew as a traditional Term Share Certificate for another 12-month term at the prevailing rate unless we are notified prior to or within 7 days of maturity date. Dividends earned may be subject to 1099 reporting. Any applicable taxes are the responsibility of the member.
3 – APY = Annual Percentage Yield and is accurate as of 08/01/2022. Visit AmericasChristianCU.com/Personal/Rates for current details. All program rates, offers, terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Early withdrawal penalties do apply which may reduce the principal.
4 – The Introductory Offer of 12,500 bonus rewards points when opening a new Visa® Signature Rewards Credit Card can be redeemed in the CURewards portal. Rewards points can be redeemed for cashback, travel, merchandise, and gift cards. 2,500 bonus points can be redeemed for $25 cash back. Visa® Signature Rewards Card issuance is contingent on approved credit, and rates offered are based on credit-worthiness. Minimum FICO score of 660 is required. Minimum credit line of $5,000. Applicants who do not qualify for the Visa® Signature Rewards Card may be approved for a Visa® Platinum or Share-Secured Visa® credit card. Not all applicants will qualify for the best rate. All program rates, offer, terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Certain restrictions apply. Offer not valid for existing ACCU credit card holders, or cardholders who have closed their accounts in the past 24 months. One offer per household. Visit AmericasChristianCU.com/VisaSignature for full list of disclosures and applicable fees.
*Figures quoted represents America's Christian Credit Union achievements as per the end of the 2021 fiscal year dated 12/31/2021.
|Ownership||Owned by ACCU members and run by a volunteer board of directors||Owned by shareholders and run by a paid board of directors|
|Profits||Not for profit; excess earnings get distributed back to members in the form of profit-sharing and better interest rates||For profit; excess earnings get distributed back to shareholders|
|Your Role||ACCU members can vote on how their credit union is run||Customers have no say in how their bank is run|
|Eligibility||There are requirements for membership; click here to learn more about eligibility||Open; anyone can become a customer|
|Safety||Federal Protection up to $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA). Added savings protection is provided by American Share Insurance (ASI) on qualifying member’s accounts in excess of that provided by NCUA.||Federal Protection up to $250,000 (FDIC—Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation)|
|Access||Credit unions tend to be local and have fewer individually owned branches, but thanks to ATM network sharing you can use other credit union and convenience store ATMs free of charge often making their network larger than those the largest banks; click here to find a location near you||Big banks are present in most major cities, but if you need to use another bank’s ATM, get ready to pay a higher service charge|
|Fees||On average, the largest credit unions have lower fees than the largest banks||On average, the largest banks have higher overdraft fees and higher online monthly bill fees than the largest credit unions|
|Satisfaction||Banks fell short of credit unions in the American Customer Satisfaction Index in 2013. Most FI’s have a Satisfaction of 45 out of 100, ACCU, personal service boasts a satisfaction score well above 85.||The lowest-scoring financial institution was also the largest bank.|
|ATMs||Credit unions have the largest surcharge-free ATM network with approximately 30,000 co-op ATMs in their network across the United States; click here to find a location near you||Bank of America, for example, has 16,000 ATMs across the United States.|
|Mobile App||You may not think that credit unions provide the latest technology; however, most including ACCU have mobile apps comparable to those of banks making trips to the branch less of a necessity in most cases.||Banks, especially the larger ones, typically offer great technology. Banking apps will support your love for on-demand banking on your smartphone.|
- 1958: Opened for business as “Nazarene Ministers Credit Union of California” in Whittier, CA with five men and $135. T.R. Partee served as our inaugural President.
- 1972: Converted from a state charter to a federal charter – allowing funds to be federally insured — and changed our name to “Nazarene Federal Credit Union”
- 1986: Mendell L. Thompson promoted to President/CEO, the 2nd in our credit union’s history
- 2003: Changed our name to “America’s Christian Credit Union” in order to serve churches who were looking to work with a Christian financial institution, allowing us to expand beyond our Nazarene membership base
- 2008: Celebrated our 50th Anniversary
- 2020: Vicki VannBerstein becomes the new President/CEO of ACCU, the third in our credit union’s history, replacing Mendell Thompson
Pastor Albert Tate, Fellowship Church
Pastor Dennis Bachman, New Song Church
Jim Martindale, Commercial Real Estate Broker
Pastor John Cager, Ward A.M.E.
Even though there are over 5,000 credit unions in the United States, misconceptions about their structure and services still exist:
MYTH: Credit unions are basically banks with fewer services
- REALITY: Credit unions offer all the same services as big banks: credit, debit, savings, loans and more. Thanks to innovations in online banking, financial institutions can be big on service—even when they’re small in size. As a member, you also own a share of your credit union and share in its success through better interest rates and fewer fees.
MYTH: It’s harder to access your money when you bank at a credit union
- REALITY: Credit unions form a nationwide ATM network to increase accessibility to your finances. Online banking features and top customer service add to the convenience. Often access points to branches or ATMs are bigger than those the largest individual banks.
MYTH: Credit union deposits aren’t insured
- REALITY: While they don’t have the same federal insurance fund that banks have, credit union deposits have their own federal or state insurance fund to keep your money safe. Deposits at all federal credit unions and most state-chartered credit unions are covered by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF).
MYTH: It’s too hard to switch to a credit union
- REALITY: Making the switch from a bank to a credit union is easier than you might think. America’s Christian Credit Union even offers a switch kit, which contains all of the paperwork you need in one convenient package. Here’s an overview of how it works:
- Check eligibility: Click here to learn more about the eligibility requirements to join America’s Christian Credit Union
- Apply for membership: Click here to start your membership application
- Complete switch kit: Use our switch kit to help you seamlessly transition over your accounts
- Transfer funds: Don’t forget to update your direct deposit information, your automatic debits and your online payments
- Close previous account(s): Once you are sure all of your banking information has been updated, close your old account
Unlike banks, which are driven by profits, our credit union is motivated by Paul’s words to “bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2). Here are just a few ways we strive to support our brothers and sisters in the faith:
Returning Profits to Members
As a not-for-profit entity, ACCU is able to return any profits made to our members by:
- Charging lower and fewer fees
- Paying higher dividends on savings accounts
- Offering lower rates on loans
Working with Members Going through Hardships
When disaster strikes, ACCU ramps up action quickly by offering special programs to assist you during these hard times. We can act much faster than large banks and can provide greater flexibility – often on a case-by-case basis to offer unique solutions for all members like you.
ACCU offers one-on-one financial counseling to help our members achieve peace of mind so they can focus on what matters most. We understand that when the individual parts of the body are strong, the whole Church is better equipped to spread Christ’s message of hope. That’s why we invest in education and services to help you thrive.
Advocating for Ministries and Small Businesses
Churches, ministries, Christian schools, and Christian-owned businesses are all powerful conduits of Jesus’ love to their respective communities. ACCU is here to support your work with the financial products and services you need to continue in the good work God has prepared for you to do.